For those of you who are hoping to start a new home build in 2016, take a look through the 5 New Year’s Resolutions below. Building a home is a rewarding process, but it does take a lot of preparation. At Compass Homes, we want to make the process EASY for you and we are willing to help you through the pre-building process.
1. Start Saving, Stop Borrowing- While it’s true a large part of your new home construction can be financed, you are able to have more freedom with your project if you have money on hand.
2. Find Your Perfect Place- Drive around and find out what part of Northern Alabama you want to live in. Look at your commute time, school zones, etc.
3. Find The Perfect Land- Do you want acreage or a neighborhood lot? Be sure to get a percolation test done before buying the land ( a test to determine the absorption rate of soil for a septic drain field . The results of a percolation test are required to properly design a septic system). Look into the price of clearing the land for a new home and make sure that the type of home that you want will match the surrounding homes.
4. Create A New Home Priority List- What is the most important feature of your new home? Is it square footage, finishes, location, or all of the above? Seeing on paper what you need in your new home will help you to decide what your budget will need to be and whether you need to cut back or if you are able to add to the list.
5. Come Talk To Compass- Let us help. That’s what we are here for! If you have questions about finishes, the process, modifying plans, finding land, financing, etc, give us a call (256-217-5444) or drop by.